Thursday, February 15, 2007

In Memory


Jeremiah was a fellow oceanographer, a fellow ultimate player, and a friend. Shortly after I left Hawaii, he married a former resident of my home there. The soon-to-be newlyweds gave me one of the most beautiful leis I'd ever seen on my last night on the islands before moving back to Canada.

A few years ago, Jeremiah left oceanography to become a science teacher at a local high school. He thrived in that role.

Earlier this week, however, he lost his life suddenly while on a field trip. From the sounds of things, he just jumped into the water on a free-dive, and that was it. He didn't resurface. By the time rescuers could get to him, it was too late.

That is the tragic news that greeted me this morning when I checked my email.

I am a little stunned today. And a little saddened. When I first got the news of his death, I didn't know what had happened but I had a feeling the ocean was involved. He was a child of the islands, and had a connection with the ocean. If there is any solace in the story of his death, it is that he was sharing his passion for the ocean environment with his students at the time.

I was not only a friend of his, but also of his wife and his father, both of whom also played ultimate. On more than one occasion, we hung out on the ultimate field when the night's games were over and the lights had gone out, sharing beers and sharing stories.

Today, my thoughts are with his wife and his young daughter. He was a positive influence in so many lives, and will be dearly missed by many.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! you just never really know what is going to happen - I am sorry for your loss, his family's loss, his students, colleagues and other friends' losses. He sounds like someone that loved life and had a passion for living it and teaching his love to the students.