Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Googlespace

Yesterday, while talking with my office mate, we coined a new term: Googlespace. (To be fair, we didn't invent it, but reinvented it.)

In this particular case, I was looking for the package required to run ruby from a command line, and was having a horrible time searching for it. I didn't know what it was called, and using the words "command" and "line" with any programming language will have a suite of hits that lock onto a specific target about as well as a shotgun blast. Knowing that my office mate was using this tool already, I asked him to tell me what it was called, telling him that I was lost in Googlespace. This term seemed to please him, as it did me.

Spaces have a rather rigorous mathematical definition, such as vector spaces, or returning to an old post, eigenspaces. So surely there must be some sort of encapsulating space for the seemingly infinite Googlespace.

I was a little surprised, when I Googled Googlespace to find hits that had nothing to do with my version whatsoever. As you scroll down the page, there's something about a giant earwig. Near the bottom of the first page, there were a couple of hits that were closer to our idea of Googlespace. The definition by the urban dictionary was somewhat poorly defined, as it has more do with the space you take up in Google rather than the vastness of Googlespace (i.e. it's a definition of the subset within Googlespace that describes you).

But still, I like the concept of Googlespace. Maybe one day, when I have absolutely nothing better to do I will pursue this. However, I truly hope that day never comes.

No comments: