Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Bean-counting the State of the Union Address

As you may know, Bush gave his State of the Union Address yesterday. It took 67 minutes. Out of curiosity, I Perled the manuscript to death to find out what the key points were:

Times that

  • terror, terrorism, or terrorist were mentioned: 22
  • Al Qaeda was mentioned: 8
  • Saddam Hussein was mentioned: 19
  • Iraq or Iraqi were mentioned: 22
  • Iran was mentioned: 3
  • North Korea was mentioned: 7
  • China was mentioned: 1
  • Russia was mentioned: 1
  • America or American was mentioned: 59
  • war was mentioned: 17
  • economy or economic were mentioned: 13
  • congress was mentioned: 14
  • environment was mentioned: 4
  • medicare was mentioned: 5
  • God was mentioned: 4

  • Bush paused for applause: 77

  • 2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    hi mabel, saw your comment on sween's site. I'm quite impressed with the focus and determination you exhibited to record all the data on the SOTU address, let alone sitting through that total load of horse cocky. I was taking notes myself! :) And of course devoted a blog entry to it. why is the theatre sooo interesting?

    Mabel said...

    Thanks Brian,
    I must confess, however, that I didn't sit through the whole thing taking notes. I actually just downloaded the text and got my computer to do the counting for me. Otherwise, in order to pass the time, I'd have needed to make it into a drinking game.