Saturday, March 17, 2007

just push the freakin' button

Many people I know loath the public washroom. It's an unsanitary mess of other people's business. Generally, I'd have to say my tolerance is relatively high on this front, but every now and then I come across something that makes me wonder about the general lack of cleanliness of the less fair sex.

Let me introduce you to my work environment. I work in a building of relatively well educated folks: I'd say the average person probably has more than one university degree. My building is quite secure after-hours: unless you correctly enter a 7-digit password, you're locked out. Each floor of my building has it's own pair of his and hers washrooms. By my estimate, the gent's room on my floor handles about 35 of us. Really, it's not an anonymous community; if you see a face you don't recognize you generally assume the person's lost and ask if they need help. So, you might expect, a group like this would try to take care of their environment. You know, keep it clean, be responsible enough to leave a common area more or less as you found it. That sorta thing.

So why is it that I walk into the washroom on a Saturday afternoon to find it smelling like piss?

The short answer, for those who don't have the luxury of entering the men's room on a regular basis, is because some guy was too freaking lazy to press the flush button on the urinal. He essentially peed on a wall and left his urine and all its olfactory goodness to evaporate overnight when all he had to do was press a freaking button to flush. I have never really understood why guys have such a hard time flushing after themselves. (And I hope for the ladies, that this is less of an issue for you.)

So really why is it?

  • Is it that some other guy was holding his ding-a-ling and then pressed the button and you're afraid that if you touch the button, your masculinity will be challenged?

  • Is it that you don't have time flush?

  • Is it because if you pressed the button, then you'd feel that you had to wash your hands and you weren't planning on doing that?

  • Is it because you still feel it is somebody else's job to help you go pee-pee?

  • Really, I'm sure you must have a good reason...something beyond my understanding. Hopefully it's something beyond laziness. Afterall, it seems that being irresponsible with your pee is not an isolated problem.

    No comments: